Monday, May 4, 2009

My Great "Great" Aunt Rhoda...






Aunt Rhoda is an amazing women. She has lived on the same road I grew up on, so through the years we had lots of fun with her. She is a feisty women with a great sense of humor. Aunt Rhoda had a zip line in her front yard for years, so there were plenty of hours we spent with her grandchildren & even sung songs to her about an Aunt Rhoda & a goose. (Don't ask me the name of it, my memory isn't as good as hers, that is for sure!) My older cousins have stories about her driving their school bus & the trouble they would get into, but she never said a word about it to get them into trouble. Thanks for being so cool!!! She also is the family pie maker & they are the best pies you will EVER eat!!!! My favorite is her Strawberry Rhubarb, not a lot of people like it, so my dad, hubby & I get extra. She makes Blueberry, Peach, Lemon Meringue, Apple, Raspberry, etc. etc. etc. She could sell them to us & we would pay, but she is so nice that she thinks of all of us a few times a year & delivers them to us out of the blue. (Always very exciting to have a warm pie for dessert!!) If you are lucky enough to help her with something, you get one right away. I even pick up pie plates at yard sales to ensure getting a pie. (Smart Thinkin' on my part.) She says that when she gets low on her pie plates, all of a sudden, tons are left back on her porch. No one ever wants her to run out of pie plates, that is for sure.

Here is her school story...

Those 2 pictures with windows in them, don't mean much to me or you. They were a bathroom & bedroom added to the building in the 70's. We tore down the walls since these pictures were taken & will replace the bathroom again once the floor is fixed. The picture of my hubby is the backside of the building where these windows are. The funny thing is when she walked into the building she went right over to one window & said, "This is the window we shut on the teacher." Now we heard this story before, but she remembered it as soon as she walked in. Now some of her siblings argued what window it was, but she was certain it was the one in the bedroom. So Ms. Teacher opened the window to get something or yell at someone & my sweet Aunts, Uncles & Grandfather got the great idea to slam the window down on her. You need to realize that the windows are 8' tall, so it must have been heavy on her mid-section!! So there she was STUCK, Stuck like Winnie-the-Pooh in the honey tree...stuck!!! My Uncle Dick mentions arms & legs flailing. I don't know how the teacher got out or what kind of trouble they got into from it, but I thought it was pretty funny they did it. For all of my family kin with perfect children, remember these stories, so when your child gets in trouble at school, this is who they take after. Don't blame it on yourself, it's in their genes! HEHE.

So here's to Aunt Rhoda, her pies, stories & great personality! We all love her to pieces!!! CHEERS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God Wendy... It seems like just yesterday I also had your Aunt Rhoda as a bus driver, and believe me it was a awesome part of my life. I'll never forget that woman. And of course your Uncle Dick, well he's my godfather so I'll never forget him either. Its wonderful to see how grown you've become I dont think I've seen you in many years. I can still remember babysitting you and your brother and sister when you were little. God.. guess I'm gettin old. Janet Mannino Doolan